Tuesday 4 April 2017

Your Career, Your Future

Today I attended a workshop ran by Hermione Berry, who is a careers consultant and the CCE team at college about getting a job after college. It was so helpful and made me feel so much more comfortable and confident about graduating.

Aims: 

  • Identify where I am currently
  • Identify where I want to be
  • Help plan to get there
One of the first tasks was to make a map/diagram of where we think we will be in five years time, and in hindsight I must have come across as the Bridget Jones of the art world!


I made it humorous by making it a diary entry, and making up scenarios (that could well happen) about third wheeling with Naomi for the rest of my life and never finding a partner (probably will happen). But here are the things that I hope I would achieve/am doing by the time I am 27:
  • Travelled loads and make travel related illustrative work
  • Teaching experience
  • Be living in Leeds or another city, keeping busy
  • Having fun and enjoying myself!
It was interesting that a lot of people in the group had similar ambitions, such as living in a big city, making the most of travelling opportunities and even teaching too.

Quotes from Grayson Perry
  • "The art career is a marathon, not a sprint"
  • He got a 2:1, you don't NEED a first
  • He applied for an MA because he was terrified of going out into the real world
  • Transitioning from the art school bubble: "take every opportunity you can get as a young artist"
What are the biggest challenges?

choose one obstacle, write on a post it note and stick it on the board

-Money
-Confidence 
-Creative Block

Options?

Career planning and job seeking is to easy, but there are loads of options for afterwards

-Post grad study
-Grad scheme
-Work experience
-Internship
-Voluntary
-Temporary
-Underemployment (stop gap jobs)

Opinions on Graduates

Why wouldn't someone want to employ a graduate?

-Over qualified
-No real experience
-Too academic
-No idea about real work
-Want too much money

Why SHOULD employers take on graduates?

-Research skills
-Fresh
-Hard working
-Target market knowledge
-Lots of people our age are very aspirational
-Good value
-Flexible
-Self motivated
-Teamwork, people/interpersonal skills
-Creative and innovative thinking
-Risk taking
-Social media/tech savvy

Top 10 Graduate Skills
  • Commercial Awareness
  • Communication
  • Teamwork
  • Negotiation and persuasion
  • Problem solving
  • Leadership
  • Organisation
  • Perseverance and motivation
  • Work under pressure
  • Confidence
JLA Skill Cards

Identify 2 skill cards that aren't developed that you've always wanted to try:

-Reaching a fair settlement to a negotiation
-Managing budgets

Pick out 2 skills that you'd like to develop within 12 months of starting your next job:

-Networking
-Encouraging others to communicate

Pick out 2 skills which represent skills that you need to sharpen up, refresh or talk about better in an interview:

-Project management
-Leading an organisation

My Motivated Skills

T: Things
I: Information
C: Concepts or ideas
P: People
E: Enterprise
  • Embracing a challenge (E)
  • Inventing new solutions to problems (C)
  • Using colour or design creatively (C)
  • Healing or encouraging wellbeing (P)
  • Conveying warmth and empathy/aware of others feelings (P)
  • Translating complex ideas into straightforward language (C)
  • Assessing situations or people quickly and accurately (P)
  • Actively listening, assessing needs (P)
  • Using humour to communicate or build relationships (P)
  • Seeing the wood from the trees (the bigger picture) (C)
Elevator Pitch

This was by far the hardest part of the day, my brain was absolutely frazzled from all of the information I'd been taking in, and I found it really difficult to string together a paragraph summarising everything good about me. I decided to just write a few notes and wing it. But people liked it and gave me some great feedback, saying that I was confident and friendly, but I just need to prepare more.



Today I have identified my strengths and weaknesses and though about how I can improve and capitalise on them in preparation for the working world. I have projected a realistic vision of where I'd like to be in five years time in terms of my career, achievements and life as a whole, and have finally come to terms that graduation isn't as scary as I made out!

No comments:

Post a Comment