Sunday 16 April 2017

Realisations/Plan of Action

From the start of third year, I have felt completely burnt out, exhausted and as if I've been tackling a year-long creative block. A part of me wishes I'd have taken a year out of studying to get back on my feet properly and feel more stable mentally to take on such a challenging and important year. As a result, I don't feel ready to do a lot of things that PPP has asked of me.

Gemma Correll knows how I feel




If I'm not completely confident of the contents of my portfolio, why would I send it out to professional clients just to receive potentially negative feedback, or no response at all, knocking my confidence even further?

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A BLOG POST OF SURRENDER.

I am absolutely NOT giving up, I refuse to. I've just got myself in an un-ideal complicated relationship with illustration and I need some time to myself to allow my creativity to blossom in a healthy, non-stressful, non judgemental way.

So this is the main reason why I haven't made the contacts as of yet that I hoped I would have by now. 

SO WHAT NOW?!?!

My main priority is feeling better mentally. When I'm in a better place I will be able to make work that I enjoy and have confidence in, and is JUST FOR ME! This way, I hope that things will start to come together again and I can begin contacting professionals, agencies and publishers WITH CONFIDENCE, ENTHUSIASM AND JOY.

So here's the plan:

April/May:

-Finish FMP to the best of my ability

June:

-Final show

July/Summer:

-D&AD in London
-Summer job- NCS Art Practitioner, Possibly Breeze Festival? (waiting to hear back)
-Go exploring cities, draw some local buildings and suss out some independent shops that could buy some prints from me
-REST AND RECOVER
-Get back into a routine, i.e. get a 9-5 job for financial stability and draw for pleasure until I feel ready

Who am I going to work towards contacting?

Editorial

-Oh Comely (follow up)
-Eye Magazine
-The Skinny
-Flow Magazine
-Buzz Feed
-The Lancet
-They Draw and Cook

Publishing

-Penguin random house
-Walker books
-Nobrow press

Experience

-Apply for a placement at hallmark to get experience working in house, and developing my knowledge and skills within greetings cards and pattern
-Contact Artfelt Sheffield to get some more information and insight into art therapy and creative healing

Public Art

-Keep my eyes open on CURATOR SPACE for mural opportunities in Leeds/surrounding area (helps that I've got the ibis mural out in the open!)
-Get back in touch with Pete Barber to see if he knows of any opportunities

So please bear with me, good things always take time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment