Thursday 6 April 2017

Making Contacts

It may seem that I am leaving the best part till last when contacting people about my work, but to be honest I find the whole thing a lot more daunting than making a website! Throughout PPP this year I have made a few contacts here and there, but I've realised that I need to be persistent and keep reaching out to people if I am going to get any work when I graduate.

Who exactly am I going to contact?

Its taken me a long time to try and understand where my work would fit in the commercial world, but at the moment I can see scope for my style/voice fitting into editorial/reportage magazine types of settings. I've made a small list (not too long because I don't want to overwhelm myself) of art editors to contact. Additionally, I've made a separate list of people and organisations to contact in terms of my teaching/community arts practice.

(see blog post 'Networking and Promoting Yourself' dated Jan 26...here are the answers to the last few questions I didn't feel ready to answer at the time!) 



Obstacles?

The only potential obstacles I have at the moment, is that my branding update isn't quite finished and I feel like this needs to be perfect before I contact anyone. BUT, in a way, this is just creating more of an obstacle for myself. I just need to grab the nettles and speak to people, or I never will!

What am I going to say?

To keep things relatively simple and just say who I am, what I do and attach a link to my website. Ben Cox mentioned last week that if you send more than 3 paragraphs, then people just don't want to read your email! 

The first one...ahhhhh!

I chose to email Lara Watson, who is the editor of Oh Comely magazine, which I really adore and could see my work fitting in really well with. (I hope?)




So this took about half an hour to write out, but I've done it and sent it! 

The only thing I'm worried about is that its quite plain. Will she really want to look at that if there is nothing eye catching on display? Perhaps I should have attached some samples of my work, or added a little snippet of my branding just to make it a bit stronger? Anyway its done now, so I can only do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment